Monday 31 May 2021

31st May 2021 Unst SSE4 Fog clearing

The haar had rolled in overnight and hampered early morning birding and I'd seen little until arriving at Leawart where through the murk seeing the Bee-eater back on the overhead wires was a considerable surprise! Brenda had photographed the Hawfinch eating an apple core whilst I was out but there was no sign of it or the apple core by the time that I returned home! I persevered but in reality had seen very little until mid-afternoon when on checking a derelict croft's garden my pishing provoked a Lesser Whitethroat-like 'teck' repeated around 15 times from low within an elder. As I tracked the call 'left' through the elders eventually out popped a female Subalpine Warbler! It was soon off and across a field flying towards another croft garden where I obtained some better views and some images before it flew off towards a ruin. No sign of it there but I next heard and then saw it very briefly on the ground in yet another garden before glimpsing it leave back in the direction of the original croft garden where it finally gave itself up again and settled down from around 6pm albeit remaining very furtive.

Millfield: Hawfinch.

Holsens road: Garden Warbler & Chiffchaff.

Skaw: Common Sandpiper & Robin.

Norwick: Sparrowhawk, 2 Sanderling, Bee-eater, Swallow & Redpoll heard flying over.

Haroldswick: Subalpine Warbler.

Bee-eater in the murk

normal service resumed once the fog cleared!




Female Subalpine Warbler at Haroldswick
Thanks Glen for forwarding this interesting link whilst I was still out in the field with it:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350400661_Identifying_Western_Subalpine_Warbler_and_Eastern_Subalpine_Warbler_by_primary_projection