Saturday 22 May 2021

22nd May 2021 Unst NW2 Overcast

An early morning start of a new contract surveying moorland breeding birds was interrupted by rain showers so I returned home for a break. That was well-timed as looking out of a window I saw a Diver fly over our house, bank and land on the sea. As it banked I thought I saw some white on the scaps, so I took a look through the scope and there was a beauty of a summer-plumaged Black-throated Diver being the first that I've seen this year. I managed a couple of record shots through the window and braved the rain to get closer frustratingly to never see the Diver again! The rain had eased so I returned to work but headed to Skaw thereafter to take another look at the tan-striped White-throated Sparrow now feeding around a couple of caravans parked there.

Skaw: White-throated Sparrow

Lamba Ness: Snow Bunting

Norwick: Black-throated Diver



Black-throated Diver off Norwick

White-throated Sparrow at Skaw
proving ridiculously tame taking scraps from the caravan owners