Wednesday 16 January 2019

16th January 2019 Unst N3 Overcast

A Redwing and 6 Twite in our garden was a nice start to the day. A look at Skaw failed to produce anything so with a cold northerly wind blowing I headed for Lamba Ness where the first Oystercatcher I've seen there this year was present - Fair Isle recorded their first for the year on the 12th. I then enjoyed the spectacle of c.2,000 Fulmars flying north in among which I saw 8 blue Fulmars including two together at one point. Otherwise , I saw my first flypast Red-throated Diver of the year, 10 Common Guillemots and 15 Kittiwakes all flying north. A flock of 20 Teal were on the sea off Norwick but had probably been flushed there by a low-flying helicopter buzzing over the north of Unst this morning.

Skaw

the walls that provide some shelter when seawatching at Lamba Ness

Oystercatcher at Lamba Ness

Red-throated Diver passing Lamba Ness



blue Fulmar passing Lamba Ness