Wednesday 19 October 2022

19th October 2022 Yell NW1 Overcast

A beautiful calm morning saw me head to Yell to commence a new inter-tidal survey contract overlooking Bluemull Sound. The start was time-sensitive being at 8.20am so with sunrise now 7.55am it only gave me time to check a single site. I chose the small plantation at Cullivoe. As I approached the willows I heard a familiar 'tack... tack... tack...' that I immediately hoped would prove to be a Dusky Warbler... it soon obliged... and sure enough... the first that I've found on Shetland. My camera was in my rucksack and I simply didn't have time to linger. Whilst surveying, I saw a single Snow Bunting fly north. I then had time to return to the plantation before dusk when I succeeded in obtaining a few images.




Dusky Warbler at Cullivoe
My parents found the first record for Lincs and JFC went on to find the first for Sussex. There can't be too many observers who have found the same species being the first record for each respective County!