Wednesday 19 August 2020

19th August 2020 Unst E1 Overcast

A Willow Warbler in our garden seemed a good omen for another good day. Skaw was shrouded in early morning fog so I drove to Burrafirth seeing an Otter on one side of the road and a Snipe in what appeared a crouching threat display facing the Otter from the opposite side of the road. I'd not long arrived when Brydon phoned to say that he'd found a Greenish Warbler in Halligarth! I was soon there and whilst I soon heard it call it took me a while to see it by when I'd seen a Barred Warbler and a Willow Warbler, but as the day brightened the Greenish Warbler put on a fine show catching flies. I returned to Burrafirth seeing a Kestrel, the Barred Warbler, a Garden Warbler and 2 Willow Warblers. At Norwick the Long-tailed Duck still present and we found another Barred Warbler and then our first Wood Warbler of the year but just a single Willow Warbler that was singing occasionally. The only passerine migrant I saw at Skaw was the Blyth's Reed Warbler but it proved no more obliging than yesterday. NorthDale produced 3 overflying Knot and the lingering Barred Warbler being my fourth of the day.


Greenish Warbler at Halligarth

Garden Warbler at Burrafirth


Wood Warbler at Norwick

Blyth's Reed Warbler at Skaw

Flock of Snipe dropping in at Lamba Ness