Friday 5 April 2019

5th April 2019 Unst NE1 Overcast

I set the alarm and left home at first light in what felt like ideal calm conditions to complete the first of three mornings surveying Black Guillemots. I thought I'd tackle the most physically demanding section of the coastline first. Whilst there was a slight swell and chop to the surface of the sea as I reached the coast I could immediately see both Common Guillemots and Razorbills sat on the sea. I scanned but surprisingly couldn't see a single Black Guillemot, I walked probably a mile, and unbelievably, I'd still not seen a Black Guillemot! Having seen plenty along that section of coast a year ago I decided that, for whatever reason, it clearly wasn't the day to be trying to survey them and called it a day. A look at Skaw produced just 2 Woodpigeons, a Robin and a Redwing. A walk around Norwick was more productive with a Long-eared Owl, 6 Robins, a Redwing, 2 Chiffchaffs and 2 Chaffinches. Haroldswick was playing host to a similar selection with us seeing a Great Northern Diver, 2 Robins, a Redwing, a White Wagtail, 2 Chiffchaffs and 8 Chaffinches. Burrafirth added a Snow Bunting. At Baltasound we saw 2 Long-eared Owls and a Chiffchaff. Our last port of call was the Burn of Watlee where we saw our first Grey Wagtail of the year and a Song Thrush.

Grey Wagtail at Burn of Watlee