Sunday 28 April 2019

28th April 2019 Unst Overcast calm

I spent the first 3 hours of the morning completing the Black Guillemot survey that took me to places that I rarely otherwise visit with Inner Skaw producing my first Lapland Bunting of the year that proved to be the highlight of my day. Black Guillemot numbers were higher than the count a couple of weeks ago and were joined my many other Auks sat on the sea that now included good numbers of Puffins. There was also a thin scatter of Robins and Willow Warblers in the geos. I then covered Skaw, Lamba Ness, Norwick, NorthDale and Haroldswick. Totals of other migrants that I saw today were 4 Sparrowhawks, a Kestrel, a Whimbrel on Lamba Ness, 5 Dunlin on Haroldswick beach, 2 Long-eared Owls, 4 Woodpigeons, 2 Swallows, 4 White Wagtails, 7 Tree Pipits, 48 Robins, 3 Dunnocks, 5 Common Redstarts,  a Whinchat, c.50 Wheatears, 13 Song Thrushes, a Redwing, 3 Ring Ouzels, a Lesser Whitethroat, 13 Blackcaps, 5 Chiffchaffs, 39 Willow Warblers, a Goldcrest, 2 female Pied Flycatchers,  9 Reed Buntings, the female Yellowhammer, 2 Siskins, a Chaffinch and 11 Bramblings.

Black Guillemot off Inner Skaw
I could hear them whistling as it was so calm this morning 

Female Lapland Bunting at Inner Skaw

Common Sandpiper at Norwick

Female Pied Flycatcher at NorthDale

Male Ring Ouzel at Haroldswick

Female Yellowhammer at Haroldswick

Willow Warbler at Haroldswick

Red-throated Diver on sea off Haroldswick