Friday 12 April 2019

12th April 2019 Unst SE4 Overcast

The wind was a little more brisk than forecast but I decided to spend the first 3 hours of daylight walking another stretch of coastline counting Black Guillemots. I'd then just made my way to Valyie when Robbie phoned to ask if I'd seen his Whatsapp message - I hadn't - he then told me that he'd found a Red-flanked Bluetail at Burrafirth - well done Robbie! I quickly returned home, collected Brenda and we joined Robbie and Mike at Burrafirth. The Bluetail initially proved elusive but eventually performed along a fenceline. Other species seen at Burrafirth included a flock of 6 Cormorants flying south, a female Sparrowhawk, our first Swallow of the year, 2 Redwing, a Dunnock, 3 Robins, 4 Wheatears and a Stonechat. The male Black Redstart was still at the brewery and a Song Thrush, a Blackcap, a Chiffchaff and a Mealy Redpoll were present at Haroldswick. On returning home this evening we were pleased to find 12 Bramblings had found our feeders.

Female-type Red-flanked Bluetail at Burrafirth

Male Black Redstart at the brewery