Monday 29 April 2019

29th April 2019 Unst Calm

Another early morning spent counting Black Guillemots when I was rewarded with seeing 2 Ring Ouzels along the south-facing cliffs of Lamba Ness. I later saw my first Green Sandpiper of the year that flew up from the burn at NorthDale. I covered Skaw, Lamba Ness, Norwick, NorthDale, Haroldswick and Burrafirth. My totals of other common migrants seen today were a Great Northern Diver, a Pink-footed Goose, 2 drake Shoveler at Baltasound, a Sparrowhawk, a White Wagtail,  6 Tree Pipits, a male Ring Ouzel at NorthDale, 4 Song Thrushes, a Redwing, 41 Robins, a female Whinchat, 9 Blackcaps, 2 Whitethroats, 15 Chiffchaffs, 16 Willow Warblers, a Goldcrest, 2 Pied Flycatchers, 4 Reed Buntings, a Linnet, 3 Siskins and 9 Bramblings.

Green Sandpiper at NorthDale

Female Pied Flycatcher at Haroldswick

Dead Puffin on Haroldswick beach

Common Whitethroat at Burrafirth