Friday 30 April 2021

30th April 2021 Unst N4 Clear

With the ongoing northerlies I completed my second Common Breeding Bird Survey square that produced a singing Redwing on my arrival but no other surprises. On arriving at Skaw Bertie was keen to show me an exhausted House Martin that sadly had died in the meantime - presumably the cold northerlies have prevented enough insects being available for it to survive. Otherwise I just saw 2 Pied Wagtails on the beach there. Norwick hinted at there having been a small arrival of Chiffchaffs as I saw 5 walking my usual circuit and also 3 Great Northern Divers, a Song Thrush and a Goldcrest. After dropping the House Martin at Mike's we checked a couple of sites in Baltasound seeing a drake Pintail and 2 Chiffchaffs. Whilst returning through Haroldswick we saw the 5 Gadwall, another 2 Chiffchaffs and 2 Carrion Crows. A redhead Goosander was on Loch of Cliff late evening.

House Martin at Skaw