Tuesday 19 March 2019

19th March 2019 Unst SW4 Overcast

With warmer temperatures forecast combined with a southwesterly wind my hopes were raised but the forecast was for the weather to deteriorate at lunchtime so I was out early seeing an adult Moorhen at Braeview and 2 Rooks at Skaw - neither being species that I was expecting or indeed particularly hoping to see! A pair of Red-throated Divers sat just offshore were continuously wailing being the first I've heard doing so this year. As I arrived at Haroldswick at c.8.30am it was already raining that combined with the strengthening wind made birding difficult so it was no real surprise that I failed to see anything. I returned home and the rain persisted for an hour so it was beginning to look like rain  would stop play for the rest of the day. However, it then brightened so I took a chance and walked to Norwick where my reward came in the form of a Chiffchaff - my earliest the last two years have been on the 28th and 31st March respectively. There was also another pair of wailing Red-throated Divers, a Woodpigeon at Valyie that was presumably the same individual I subsequently saw at Kirkaton and Millfield. The weather did then well and truly deteriorate but being stuck indoors I did see the wintering Water Rail visit our garden.

Rooks at Skaw
They arrived from the northeast(!) but presumably from no further than the outer headland as it would seem likely it is the same pair that we saw opposite the Final Checkout on the 8th March. Whilst c.200 pairs of Rook breeds on mainland Shetland, mainly in the Kergord area, those seen here on Unst are assumed to wander from there. Coincidentally I saw a pair at Skaw on the 19th April 2018.

Red-throated Diver at Skaw
Whilst wonderfully sublime in appearance they can make for noisy neighbours! Their local name Rain Geese is due to them being prone to call before the onset of wet weather... and sure enough...

Curlews and Lesser Black-backed Gull at Norwick
Newly arrived for the Summer or taking a break before continuing elsewhere?

Chiffchaff at Norwick