Sunday 9 April 2023

9th April 2023 SSE4 Overcast

I took a look at Norwick mires at dawn that proved enjoyable watching the spectacle of plenty of displaying waders but I failed to see the Night Heron. I then walked to Skaw where my first Marsh Harrier of the year proved the highlight and also the first female Wheatear that I've seen. On returning to Norwick we then saw the Night Heron fly across the mires and then on towards North Dale. On returning home Brenda saw a Blackcap and there was a male Hawfinch and 2 Tree Sparrows attending our feeders.

Skaw: Merlin, 9 Purple Sandpipers, 2 Pied Wagtails, 3 Robin & Wheatear

Norwick: 4 Great Northern Divers, Night Heron, Puffin, Woodcock, 6 Woodpigeon, Pied Wagtail, Robin, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, 7 Goldcrests, 13 Redwings, Fieldfare, 2 Tree Sparrows, Brambling, 6 Chaffinch & Hawfinch.

Puffin off Norwick

Purple Sandpipers at Skaw

I'm guessing the presence of goose barnacles suggests that this gas canister has come a considerable distance

Marsh Harrier at Skaw

Woodcock at Norwick

Night Heron at Norwick

Tree Sparrow in our garden

Hawfinch in our garden