Saturday 8 April 2023

8th April 2023 Unst SE4 Clear

When I spoke to JFC yesterday evening he told me there was an influx of Night Herons in the country. Fast forward to this morning and a walk to Skaw produced only a Wheatear of note and that may have been one of the two seen a few days ago. However, as I walked around Norwick, I was just negotiating a barbed wire fence when an adult Night Heron flew from the burn alongside - superb - the first that I've found in the UK! It circled me a couple of times, called and then flew out over the mires and landed alongside the main burn. Norwick also produced my first Collared Dove and Sand Martin of the year.

Skaw: Wheatear, Chiffchaff, 2 Song Thrush, 5 Redwing & 5 Fieldfare.

Norwick: Night Heron, 2 Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Sand Martin, Pied Wagtail, 2 Robin, 2 Chiffchaff, 2 Goldcrest, Song Thrush, 11 Redwing, 5 Chaffinch & 2 Brambling.

Burrafirth: Wheatear & Chiffchaff.







''kwokk''
Night Heron at Norwick

Collared Dove at Norwick

Sand Martin at Norwick

Wheatear at Burrafirth