Saturday 1 April 2023

1st April 2023 Unst SE2 Overcast clearing

A very early start whereupon a walk around Norwick produced a male Pied Wagtail and a couple of Song Thrush as the only newly-arrived migrants that I could find and there had been something of a clear-out of the migrants seen yesterday. I decided to walk to Skaw where my first Black Redstart of the year proved my reward. 

Norwick: first-cycle Glaucous Gull, 5 Woodpigeon, Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, 17 Robin, 15 Blackbird, 2 Song Thrush, 5 Chiffchaff, 2 Goldcrest & 13 Chaffinch.

Skaw: 2 Woodcock, 3 Woodpigeon, Pied Wagtail, Black Redstart, 12 Robin, 10 Blackbird, 12 Redwing, 3 Song Thrush & 5 Chiffchaff.

North Dale: Robin, 20 Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, 14 Redwing & Chiffchaff.

Haroldswick: Great Northern Diver, 2 Pied Wagtail, 20 Redwing & 3 Fieldfare. 

Black Redstart at Skaw
The earliest that I've seen on Shetland by 10 days

Male Pied Wagtail at Norwick
Bearing a BTO ring but despite my best efforts I couldn't read the number