Sunday 22 May 2022

22nd May 2022 Unst SSE3 Light rain

The conditions flattered to deceive as the south-easterlies weren't really coming from very far so it was no real surprise that passerine migrants were again all but non-existent. At least I completed the second visit to one of my Common Bird Census squares centred upon Skaw that produced my first Sanderling of the year. When the rain eased a walk around Norwick proved equally uninspiring, producing nothing more than my first Common Tern of the year, a Lesser Whitethroat and a singing Chiffchaff. Even worse, the terrible scenes of birds presumably falling victim to bird flu continues... as both the four Dutch birders and Roger & Sue have all told me, it makes for very distressing/upsetting viewing. DEFRA public health advice available here.


Dead Bonxies at Skaw

Dead Greylag at Skaw
Its partner had not yet left its side and they presumably have a nest nearby.

Dead Gannet and Arctic Tern at Norwick
A dozen Gannets and a couple of Great Black-backed Gulls lay dead nearby.

Dying Kittiwake at Norwick
The first case I've suspected for this species, likewise I saw a dead Shag today.