Thursday 19 January 2017

19th January 2017 Unst W4

No sooner do I ponder on whether most of the Glaucous Gulls have moved-on and there is a return to form today as I found a juvenile dead at Skaw, 2 juveniles and a second-winter at Burrafirth and see 2 juveniles and an Iceland Gull fly south past Westing and Brydon finds a flock of 18 Glaucous Gulls and 3 Iceland Gulls at Belmont! Otherwise the 4 Tundra Bean Geese remain at Norwick and 14 Teal were present on the floods and we saw 4 Otters playing together near Baltasound.

An image that I know my Mum will enjoy!



 Second-winter Glaucous Gull at Burrafirth
Juveniles seen thus far this winter are still appearing fresh with the pale eye and bill tip and patchy appearance of its underparts being a mixture of old and new feathers ageing this individual as a 2w.

Dead juvenile Glaucous Gull at Skaw
Sadly the second Glaucous Gull I've found dead at Skaw