Saturday 5 June 2021

5th June 2021 Unst SE2

An early start at Skaw proved disappointingly quiet and an unseasonable Long-tailed Duck and a Mealy Redpoll at Burrafirth wasn't really what I was hoping for given it's early June and a singing Sedge Warbler at NorthDale could have been so much better! But just as I was leaving Valyie I flushed a Sparrowhawk from the burn that I watched overflying the mires just in case it flushed anything of interest... a flock of Starlings took flight and there was a Rosy Starling among them! They landed on the hillside between Valyie and Holsens road. Whilst walking around Haroldswick my first Quail of the year was audible from the Heritage Centre and I then relocated the Rosy Starling in the sheep fields at Skeggie where it was showing well whilst actively feeding and seemed unconcerned by my presence.

Skaw: singing Common Whitethroat

Holsens road: Kestrel

Burrafirth: Long-tailed Duck, Swallow, Mealy Redpoll

NorthDale: singing Sedge Warbler

Norwick: Sparrowhawk, Collared Dove, 2 Swallow, Robin, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, 2 Chiffchaff, Spotted Flycatcher, Rosy Starling, Tree Sparrow & 2 Mealy Redpoll

Haroldswick: Quail, Garden Warbler, Rose-coloured Starling & Mealy Redpoll.

Mealy Redpoll at Burrafirth

Sedge Warbler at NorthDale

Sparrowhawk mobbed by Starlings
I've been cursing the ever-present Sparrowhawks present around Valyie this Spring but this one did me a favour today...



Rosy Starling at Norwick



Rosy Starling at Skeggie