Wednesday 2 June 2021

2nd June 2021 Unst S3 Haar clearing

Whilst clear at first the haar rolled in and out for most of the morning before clearing into a blue skies warm afternoon and evening. It proved very slow going again and I couldn't find the Subalpine Warbler, but in widening the search, I heard Marsh Warbler singing. I assumed it was singing from a small patch of rosa, but whilst re-positioning myself, I noticed it sat low in a tiny almost leafless elder pretty much in the open and almost facing away from me so immediately saw its greenish upperparts and long primary projection. But almost immediately, whilst turning it's head whilst singing, I saw it almost jump as it saw me and it flew into cover and then remained silent - frustrating! The usual mixed feelings on seeing one, as whilst I love them, they often feel the harbinger of the end of Spring - here's hoping that's not the case!

Millfield: Heron flew west, the male Hawfinch made a visit late afternoon.

Skaw: 2 Swallow, Robin, Willow Warbler & Chiffchaff.

Norwick: Sparrowhawk, Garden Warler, Blackcap & Chiffchaff.

Haroldswick: Marsh Warbler.