Tuesday 9 April 2024

9th April 2024 Unst WSW1 Clear

With the first calm conditions from dawn and a forecast of four hours of daylight before the onset of rain, I decided to complete my first Black Guillemot survey of the season necessitating at 5.00am start. Whilst walking the cliffs north of Skaw 2 Jackdaws flew ashore and headed straight inland. Nearer to the Holm of Skaw I encountered a pod of c.8 Risso's Dolphins that seemed very content milling around close inshore. Whilst watching them my first Bonxie of the year flew west. I then checked Norwick seeing my first Swallow and  Yellowhammer of the year. The promised rain arrived but on checking the Haroldswick pool rosa regosa on our way home from the shop it was playing host to my first Willow Warbler of the year.

Skaw: Great Skua, Pied Wagtail, Robin, 5 Icelandic Redwing, 2 Jackdaw & Chaffinch.

Norwick: Grey Heron, 2cy Glaucous Gull, Woodpigeon, Swallow, Dunnock, Robin, 2 Icelandic Redwing, 2 Goldcrest, 8 Siskin, 5 Chaffinch, Brambling & Yellowhammer

Haroldswick: Willow Warbler.

pre-sunrise at 5.15am

Black Guillemot off the North Cliffs
encouragingly numbers were slightly up compared to the first walk of this stretch of coastline last year













Risso's Dolphins west of the Holm of Skaw

Female Yellowhammer at Norwick

Male Pied Wagtail at Norwick


Willow Warbler at Haroldswick