Tuesday 20 July 2021

20th July 2021 Unst NW2 Overcast

An hour seawatching at Lamba Ness produced a single Manx Shearwater flying north. The albino Great Northern Diver and Bonaparte's Gull were still at Norwick. Whilst on the phone chatting to my Dad this evening I saw what appeared to be a Beluga surface around 5 times below the south cliffs of Lamba Ness! I explained that I'd better cut our conversation short because of what I thought I'd seen and he replied somewhat incredulously 'what the white one?!'... I ran to the next room for my bins, camera and to tell Brenda and we dashed outside to see it surface another five times... and then another five times... it seemed completely unbelievable but I couldn't think of what else it could be - an albino Seal crossed my mind - especially being in the same view as the albino Great Northern Diver at one time! I put the news out and thankfully it proved to be a Beluga and a few others managed to reach Lamba Ness in time to see it round the tip and head north rounding the Holm of Skaw. Here's hoping that it resurfaces tomorrow...


Beluga off Lamba Ness