Thursday 16 May 2019

16th May 2019 Unst SE2 Overcast and foggy

It was disappointing to wake-up to fog. The visibility was very poor along Holsens road so I was pleased to find it clearer as I arrived at Skaw. Despite the promising wind direction the only migrants I could find were 2 Swallows. Robbie then sent a message to say he'd found an Egret at Burrafirth hunkered down in the poor weather. By the time I arrived it had become more mobile and proved to be a Little Egret. A Common Whitethroat was present along the burn but a Chiffchaff was all I could find at the Shore Station. Valyie proved very quiet with just a Sparrowhawk, a Blackcap, 3 Chaffinches and a Reed Bunting seen. An exchange of messages with Brydon revealed he hadn't seen a single migrant so I headed for work. Mid-afternoon saw the arrival of some brighter and warmer weather so late afternoon we returned to Skaw where all we saw was a House Martin and 5 Swallows and a Common Swift on the drive home.


Little Egret at Burrafirth