Saturday 14 April 2018

12th April 2018 Unst SE2 Clear

A beautiful Spring day with blue skies, warm sunshine and a light southeasterly breeze. I spent virtually the whole day in the field concentrating on Skaw, Lamba Ness, Norwick and Northdale. From first light Fieldfares were roaming the island in large flocks of 40 to 60 strong. At Skaw I saw my first Green Sandpiper of the year and along the cliffs at Lamba Ness a male and 2 female Wheatears, At Norwick I was pleased to see my first Swallow, Blackcap, Siskin and Linnet of the year as well as 2 female Hawfinches now flying around together. As I arrived at Northdale Willie Henderson very kindly stopped to tell me that his dog had put up a Long-eared Owl from the area behind his crofthouse in the morning. That didn't prepare me for walking a further 20m and finding it sat in the open on an elder - superb. On a late afternoon visit to the shop I saw my first Collared Dove of the year in Baltasound and a female Hawfinch was still present on the Boordanoost feeders. Thinking the day was over Bertie Priest then very kindly handed me a male Hawfinch that he'd heard crash against on of his windows at the Chalet in Norwick. A very sad end for a magnificent bird.

Water Rail 1
Sparrowhawk 1 female
Long-eared Owl 1
Collared Dove 1
Swallow 1
Grey Wagtail 1
Pied Wagtail 2
White Wagtail 3
Dunnock 3
Robin 10
Wheatear 3
Blackbird 25
Fieldfare 100+
Chiffchaff 2
Goldcrest 1
Linnet 1
Siskin 1
Brambling 2
Hawfinch 3 females, 1 male (dead)

Male Wheatear at Lamba Ness

Fieldfares flying over Lamba Ness

Adult female Sparrowhawk at Norwick

Swallow at Norwick

Male Blackcap at Norwick

Female Linnet at Norwick


Long-eared Owl at Northdale


Dead male Hawfinch at Norwick