Thursday 7 May 2020

7th May 2020 Unst W3 Overcast

Another long day working on Yell but my commute home produced my first Scaup of the year, my first Greenshank of the year, a Ring Ouzel and views from the roadside of the lingering escaped male Painted Bunting that has previously been seen at Flamborough and Aberdeen this Spring.


Escaped male Painted Bunting at Uyeasound
By way of a bizarre coincidence, whilst on Yell I spent 3 hours at Hamnavoe today, and when there Mike kindly let me know that the Painted Bunting was showing from the road, and I  would be driving past it on my way home. RJF also sent me a message to say that he'd seen a Painted Bunting on Shetland in 1978 although he couldn't remember exactly where... it transpired that it was at Hamnavoe on Yell!  

Greenshank at Easter Loch

Scaup at Dam Loch