Sunday 14 May 2023

14th May 2023 Unst S4 Overcast

With the wind from the west it was no real surprise that the lingering passerine migrants are now dwindling in number and the Sparrowhawks present probably aren't helping! After a look at Norwick and NorthDale a cold weather front arrived with a period of steady rain. As the rain cleared I scanned the wick and at range, I picked out a superb summer-plumaged Sabine's Gull circling over the cliffs of Lamba Ness. In switching from scope to camera that Brenda had quickly brought to me... I lost sight of it. With the sinking feeling setting in that I wouldn't see it again, I suddenly noticed it flying now low over the sea and much closer into the wick alongside 2 Kittiwakes. The Kittiwakes settled on the sea and were joined by the Sabine's but still at quite a range to obtain any images. I quickly put the news out and legged it towards the cliff edge. The trio took flight, and almost unbelievably, flew towards me and landed on the beach alongside a Herring Gull but soon joined by Kittiwakes! The flock spooked, and this time the Sabine's took a look at the taing before heading out to sea and rounding Clibberswick. I was joined by Mike who'd made it in time to see it and he told me it was somewhat surprisingly, the first confirmed record for Unst! Had the band of rain encouraged it to briefly stop migrating - we'll never know?

Norwick: 2 Great Northern Diver, 2 Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Sabine's Gull, Common Redstart & Song Thrush.

Northdale: Common Redstart.




the white tips to its primary coverts age it as an adult (Adriaens 2022)

Neatly splaying its primaries


Adult Sabine's Gull at Norwick
Given the location of Shetland the species enjoys something of an enigmatic status with only around 30 previous individuals recorded. The only previous one I've seen was found by Phil Harris whilst aboard the excellent Shetland Seabird Tours. It's the 360th species to be recorded on Unst.