Monday 30 May 2022

30th May 2022 Unst NW3 to SSE2 Early morning shower soon brightening

I walked to Valyie and was caught in a heavy shower just before I arrived there so took shelter in one of the barns. The shower seemed to encourage both a Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler into song. As the rain eased I made my way to the burn. As I climbed the hillside, I heard a 'tzik', spun on the spot, to see a Bunting flying up the hillside towards me, over my head, and landing near the top of a spruce - a stunning male Rustic Bunting! It only sat there for a matter of seconds before flying further up the hillside and alighting again, this time on the fence. I rattled off a few more images, but before I attempted to move closer, it was off again, gaining height and heading west. I spent a couple of hours looking for it without success only seeing a couple of Swallows. On my walk home I saw another Willow Warbler and the Common Rosefinch was still in Norwick. A check of Skaw added a Garden Warbler and a Blackcap.




Male Rustic Bunting at Valyie
My first BB rarity find of the year and the eighth Rustic Bunting I've now either co-found with JFC or found in the UK (6 in Spring & 2 in Autumn).

Common Rosefinch at Norwick

Garden Warbler at Skaw

Blackcap at Skaw