Wednesday 28 April 2021

28th April 2021 Unst N3 Overcast

With the ongoing northerly airflow I elected to complete my first visit to on of three Common Breeding Bird Survey squares but I saw a Sparrowhawk, a Chiffchaff and 4 Brambling before leaving our garden. My first square didn't produce any surprises but 12 singing Wheatears were nice. A walk around Norwick added 2 Great Northern Divers, another encounter with the Common Buzzard circling ever-higher until lost as a tiny speck in the sky over Haroldswick at 10.15am, a Sparrowhawk, a Pied Wagtail, 2 Chiffchaffs, my first Willow Warbler of the year and a Brambling. At Skaw I was greeted by the House Martin having been joined by a Swallow and a Robin. NorthDale proved quiet too with just a Redwing seen. The 5 Gadwall, a Chiffchaff and the Carrion Crow were all still present at Haroldswick. A drake Pintail was present at Burrafirth.

Common Buzzard over Haroldswick
A full crop and as low as I saw it! It looked a case of 'adios, safe travels...'

Willow Warbler at Norwick