Saturday 17 April 2021

17th April 2021 Unst S3 Overcast

Another day where the cold wind increased during the day. Whilst at Skaw I saw a Peregrine, a Redwing, 2 Wheatears, the Blue-headed Wagtail, the 5 White Wagtails, a Pied Wagtail and 2 Chiffchaffs. At Lamba Ness there was a Teal, a Redwing and 3 Wheatears. A walk around Norwick produced 3 Sparrowhawks in the air together, a Woodpigeon, 2 Wheatears, a Pied Wagtail, a Chiffchaff, 2 Goldcrests, a Chaffinch and my first Brambling of the year. At Burrafirth I saw a pair of Wigeon, a Sparrowhawk, 2 Wheatears and a Pied Wagtail. Haroldswick added a Sparrowhawk, a Collared Dove and my first Carrion Crow of the year and NorthDale a Sparrowhawk and 2 Woodpigeon. Whilst mowing our lawn a Sand Martin looped around our house before heading for the beach and from the comfort of an armchair I found the bird of the day being a transitional-plumaged White-billed Diver sat off the south cliffs of Lamba Ness.

Male Blue-headed Wagtail at Skaw

Chiffchaff at Skaw

Teal at Lamba Ness

Brambling at Norwick
my latest 'earliest' date since living on Unst



White-billed Diver off Lamba Ness