Friday 17 May 2019

17th May 2019 Unst NE2 Clear

A bright clear dawn but the fog rolled-in to northeast Unst by mid-morning after which it was coming and going for the rest of the day. A total of 20 Tree Sparrows were feeding in our garden today and there was the unusual sight of 5 Goosander sat on the sea off Skaw where I also saw a Fieldfare and a Redwing. NorthDale provided my highlight of the day in the form of my third Wood Warbler of the Spring. Other migrants seen today included a Sparrowhawk, 7 Swallows, a Tree Pipit, a Song Thrush, a Sedge Warbler, a Blackcap, a Common Whitethroat, 3 Lesser Whitethroats, 2 Chiffchaffs, a Willow Warbler and a Chaffinch.

Goosanders off Skaw




Wood Warbler at NorthDale

acredula Willow Warbler at NorthDale

Sedge Warbler at Norwick

Greylag Geese
the first goslings I've seen this year

Juvenile Blackbird
the first fledged juvenile Blackbird I've seen this year