Wednesday 23 August 2017

23rd August 2017 Unst E2-3 Clear

Another morning that felt ideal conditions to produce a few migrants. Just as I was leaving Skaw without having seen a migrant I noticed a hirundine hawking for insects being the first I've seen at Skaw since the Spring. Initially thinking it a Swallow, a look through bins suggested it would prove a House Martin but as it flew past me I could see both a deeply forked long tail and a narrow smudgy whitish rump and the penny dropped - a hybrid Swallow x House Martin! It disappeared off towards the outer headland. I waited a few minutes and it suddenly reappeared flying down the burn and off towards Lamba Ness but then didn't return. Norwick only added a couple of White Wagtails. Baltasound added just 2 Ruff and there were 5 Ruff near Uyeasound. Lund was playing host to a single Willow Warbler.


Hybrid Swallow x House Martin at Skaw