Wednesday 29 May 2024

29th May 2024 Unst E2 Clear

On my first glance out of our kitchen window this morning I caught sight of what looked like a 'Nightingale stood motionless on the lawn. I took two paces backwards to grab a pair of binoculars, but on my return to the window, it had vanished. Almost immediately a Sparrowhawk flew low through the garden and I stopped looking. On returning home after a largely unproductive morning, Brenda was in our store. Whilst exchanging a few words, we were interrupted by a snatch of song from a 'Nightingale! Game on!! During a subsequent 45 minute vigil at the kitchen window, I began to doubt myself whether I'd heard a 'Nightingale at all, but at last, I saw a glimpse of it breaking cover from our lupins. It immediately looked interesting, but it then took another 30 minutes before I'd obtained an image or two. Its appearance varied quite radically from image to image, and even worse, from the resolution of my images it was impossible to see the necessary critical detail of its wing formula. However, we were soon joined by Brydon armed with his new Nikon camera. Despite just a few glimpses in deep shade, he quickly secured some images that confirmed its identity beyond doubt. Unfortunately not everyone who subsequently visited managed to see it, as it would go missing for up to 90 minutes at a time, and then often only afforded brief glimpses. However, those that had the time and patience were rewarded with some good views.

dark malars and dusky breast-band encapsulating its white throat  

diffusely mottled breast

sullied greyish flanks

eight visible primary tips

very short first primary

Thrush Nightingale in our garden
We weren't the only residents to be taking a look at this luscious Luscinia