Tuesday 20 June 2023

20th June 2023 Unst SE4 Low cloud becoming hazy sunshine

Whilst I walked around Skaw this morning, Brydon had seen a Honey Buzzard fly high east over Halligarth. Cursing that I'd either missed it or it hadn't come my way, just as I was returning towards Norwick, I heard Oystercatchers alarming behind me and turned to see a superb male Honey Buzzard flying in my direction! It overflew and began circling low over Norwick and then circled south slowly gaining height. Fast forward to late-afternoon, I was inputting survey data on the computer when I heard a commotion including both Oystercatchers and Gulls, so I dashed outside, to this time see a female Honey Buzzard overfly our house heading south.






Male Honey Buzzard over Norwick
On circulating a single image by Whatsapp, JFC replied by return sexing it as a male and Pete C eliminated the outside chance of it being an Oriental Honey Buzzard!

Female Honey Buzzard over Millfield