Tuesday 20 June 2017

20th June 2017 Unst Calm and sunny

Early this morning, after just a couple of hours of working on Yell, I received a text message to say that Robbie had found some Pilot Whales off Skaw. I resisted the temptation to head back not really expecting them to linger. Come 3pm and another message to say that Brydon had seen the White-tailed Sea-Eagle circling over the School. It was turning into a great day to be working on Yell! No mention of the Whales, but just as I reached the ferry back to Unst, I received a text from my parents to say that the Whales were off Lamba Ness. A fast drive across Unst and I was soon enjoying views of the pod of 41 Pilot Whales that spent the next few hours covering not more than 500m in the bay at Skaw. Many thanks to Dave Pullan for letting us obtain some superb views through his scope.








Long-finned Pilot Whales off Skaw