Tuesday 1 October 2019

1st October 2019 Unst N4 Clear

With similar weather to yesterday I again headed to Lamba Ness that was more productive as I saw a Sooty Shearwater, 14 blue Fulmars and a single Wigeon in 90 minutes. On walking to Valyie I'd only seen a single Brambling when a Mealy Redpoll flew-up from a crop. It landed on some wires before flying back over my head, so I backtracked, in an attempt to photograph it. As I did, Pete Aley kindly gave me a shout from the other side of the small plantation, only around 50m away, where he and Paul Kemp had just found a Red-flanked Bluetail! I quickly joined them and obtained some excellent views - the second on Unst this year! I saw just a Whinchat on my walk home but a visit to the shop in Baltasound added a Redstart and a Yellow-browed Warbler.

Sooty Shearwater passing Lamba Ness

blue Fulmar passing Lamba Ness

Mealy Redpoll at Valyie




Red-flanked Bluetail at Valyie